Skip to main content

5 Reasons to Get Your Bachelors After the Military

Hi everyone and welcome (or welcome back) to the blog “Soldier to Student”. This post is going to be 5 reasons why you should get your bachelors degree after getting out of the military!


  1. Higher Earnings: Those with college degrees statistically make more money and are more financially stable than those without college degrees. Below I am going to provide statistics from two different sources and let the numbers talk for themselves. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 

  • “Those without a high school diploma had median weekly earnings of $721

  • High school grads with no college had median weekly earnings of $905

  • Those with some college or associate degree had median weekly earnings of $1,012

  • Those with a bachelor’s degree had median weekly earnings of $1,499

  • Those with an advanced degree had median weekly earnings of $1,864”


    In addition, according to the Associations of Public Land-Grant Universities

            (APLU), 

  • “Typical earnings for bachelor’s degree holders are $40,500 or 86 percent higher than those whose highest degree is a high school diploma.

  • 87% of bachelor’s degree holders report financial wellbeing, 20 percentage points higher than groups with any other level of education.

  • Median lifetime earnings are $1.2 million higher for bachelor’s degree holders.”


  1. More Job Opportunities: Having a college education ensures a larger chance of employment as well as more job and career advancement opportunities. A statistic from APLU (a source mentioned in reason one) states, “College graduates are half as likely to be unemployed as their peers whose highest degree is a high school diploma.” Having a college degree can open more doors for you when looking for work.


  1. Education Benefits: By utilizing veteran education benefits you can go to school for FREE. According to the Education Data Initiative, “The average cost of attendance for a student living on campus at an in-state public 4-year institution is $27,146 per year or $108,584 over 4 years.” College is not cheap but veterans who served more than three years honorably have access to the GI Bill which will cover tuition and fees.


  1. Transition from Military to Civilian: Going from the military to civilian life can be very stressful and attending college could be a good option to help you transition. Universities have a plethora of social and educational programs that veterans could utilize to adapt back to civilian life. The college I attend has multiple military/veteran clubs or organizations so there are opportunities to connect with others also in your position.


  1. Solid Foundation: After leaving the military there is an instilled sense of discipline and maturity which can give you a strong foundation for starting and completing school. I personally found the military made me more responsible which is a good trait to have when working towards your degree. In addition, those who served also already have some college credit from the military. This can help to give you a stronger platform for getting started on your degree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 9-11 GI Bill vs. Montgomery GI Bill

Hi everyone and welcome (or welcome back) to the blog “Soldier to Student”. In this post I am going to compare the Post 9-11 GI Bill with the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). Both of these are federal education grants offered to qualifying veterans. To qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill you must have started your service on or after September 11, 2001, and one of these must be true: you served for at least 90 days total on active duty, you served for at least 30 days on active duty (without a break) and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or you received a Purple Heart. To qualify for the MGIB, the required service start date depends on certain factors, like when you served on active duty and whether your military pay decreased. Y ou must have served between 2 and 4 years. The minimum amount of time you must have served depends on other factors. Both benefits provide 36 months of coverage but note, in certain situations, you may be eligible for more than 1 educa...

Student Veteran Education Benefits

Hi everyone and welcome (or welcome back) to the blog “Soldier to Student”. In this post I want to talk about some topics I already have in the past. I try to post on my blog pretty frequently so sometimes it can be a little overwhelming navigating through the different topics. In this post I am going to link some of my posts that feed into each other. The first post I am going to link is “Four Grants That Could Apply To You” https://soldiertostudent.blogspot.com/2025/01/four-grants-that-could-apply-to-you.html   This post is great because it gives an overview of what benefits you should look into if you are an Illinois veteran. It can also help those from other states that have state funded grants, you just have to do a bit more research because they probably have a different name for it. The next one I am going to link is “ Post 9-11 GI Bill vs. Montgomery GI Bill”. https://soldiertostudent.blogspot.com/2025/02/post-9-11-gi-bill-vs-montgomery-gi-bill.html   This post compare...

What If the Illinois Veterans Grant Went Away?

Hi everyone and welcome (or welcome back) to the blog “Soldier to Student”. In this post I want to talk about what would happen if the Illinois Veterans Grant went away. Now I just want to preface this by saying this is all hypothetical and I am only bringing this up because it would be interesting to analyze the impacts it would have. Unfortunately I was unable to find the number of veterans using this grant, which I was going to use to illustrate the number of veterans who would be affected, but regardless of how many it affects I am going to talk about what we would see. First of all, veterans would receive no state funding. The Illinois Veterans Grant pays tuition and mandatory fees at all Illinois state-supported colleges, universities and community colleges for veterans who served a minimum of two years and enlisted from and returned to Illinois. I personally use this grant and losing this money would mean solely relying on federal funding for school. Right now since I am using t...